~ Auto Buzz ~: 2015 Audi A3 Cabriolet Review

Saturday 6 December 2014

2015 Audi A3 Cabriolet Review




2015 Audi A3 Cabriolet in Scuba Blue



Audi has done well to establish itself as one of the leading luxury car manufacturers in the world, creating vehicles for just about everyone, and I mean everyone. From 2-door sports cars to large sedans and small crossovers to wagons, Audi has every market covered. Well, Audi has yet to venture into mini-vans, and if you ask me, I actually prefer to keep it that way.



When Audi decided to come out with the new A3 that was geared towards people looking for an entry-level luxury car, I was a little skeptical. I was loyal to the A3 hatchback, specifically the TDI version that Audi decided to stop sending to the U.S. Would Audi designers forego quality to offer a product that was more affordable?



I took the A3 sedan for a quick spin awhile back, impressed by its zippiness, which is my word for “quick and light”. This time I spent a week with the A3 cabriolet, a 2-door, four-seater that is basically a minimalist version of the A5 cabriolet - except the A5 has just a tad bit more room. This car is for the no-fuss driver who wants decent gas mileage, appreciates simple interiors, and of course, loves a little wind therapy every once in awhile.



I wasn’t sure I would have the joy of driving with the top down because the weather started to cool off here in San Diego, but alas, the sun happily obliged when I put out a request for an appearance even if it was only for a few days.



Audi A3 Convertible



My tester was equipped with the 1.8 TFSI engine and a 6-speed S-tronic transmission offering up 170 horsepower and 200 lb-ft torque. It’s also available in a 2.0 version with 220 horsepower and 258 pound torque. I also had the Premium Plus package ($2,550 option) that features 18” 10-spoke wheels, heated front seats, heated exterior mirrors, Audi advanced key, and the aluminum interior package.



After driving Audi’s cars with all-wheel drive, I have to admit that driving one with front-wheel drive with under 200 horsepower was just a little lackluster for me. The acceleration is nothing to write home about, but because this is a review, I do have to write something...and that’s all I have to say. But I get it, they wanted to create a convertible that is more affordable with good gas mileage.



Speaking of gas mileage, what did impress me was a trip to L.A. for the auto show in which the car averaged 33.5 mpg in 320 miles roundtrip. For the whole week I averaged 29.6 mpg, which is 1.6 more than the 28 combined city/highway EPA estimate. Fuel economy estimates for city is 24 mpg and 35 mpg for highway.



The inside of the vehicle and technology is where you can justify the $35,600 base price. You’ll get all-leather seats, dual-zone automatic climate control, power adjustable exterior mirrors and windows, and a pretty quiet cabin when the roof is up. The dashboard takes cues from the Audi TT with its circle air vents, which lends itself to a sportier look. My only gripe is that you have to manually adjust the front seats (Yes, I’m spoiled), but you do get 8-way power lumbar adjustment. I guess I could look at it like getting a mini arm workout whenever I have to adjust the seat if someone else drives the car.



A3 MMI



If you do decide to drop $2,600 for the Audi MMI Navigation plus package, (Believe me, it’s worth it) you have the luxury of entering information on the cool touchpad when using the Google search function and inputting an address or someone’s name in your phone’s contact list. It used to be that the touchpad was only available on the A6, A7, or A8, and it was separate from the knob. Also, with a push of a button the driver information screen can go up or down into the dashboard. Audi connect with online services is free for 6-months, plus you get a complimentary subscription to SIRIUS satellite radio for 3 months. Of course, you can always connect your phone through Bluetooth and listen to Pandora, Spotify, or your personal music playlists.



All in all, I enjoyed my time with the A3 Cabriolet. I'm sure I would've had more fun with it had it been summertime, but who am I to complain...I live in San Diego!








More gadget review in www.mamaktalk.com


Share This: