~ Auto Buzz ~: 2015 Audi SQ5 3.0T Review

Wednesday 26 August 2015

2015 Audi SQ5 3.0T Review



Audi SQ5 Rear

The more models that Audi comes up with, the harder it is for me to nail down a true favorite. Sure, I’ve always dreamed about the A8 W12 and the A7 is absolutely stunning, but now that I’ve spent time with the SQ5, I’m thinking that 2-car garage will eventually turn into a 5-car garage full of Audi’s. The SQ5 will definitely have a space reserved in that garage.


In a previous post I shared five things I love about the Q5, and one of things I talked about was power. Just when I thought 272 horsepower was pretty decent, here comes the SQ5 with 354 hp, 346 lb torque, and a V6 engine. It also has the 8-speed Tiptronic transmission that was introduced into the Q5 back in 2011.

Even a slight touch to the gas pedal and you’re off to the races. In the words of Travis Okulski over at Jalopnik when he reviewed the SQ5 last year:

“This car is fast.”

Of course, you probably shouldn’t take it to the race track thinking you can take on that RS7, but you can definitely leave those soccer mommies or daddies in the dust with their mini vans and chunky SUV’s. In other words, it can serve as an ego booster in certain situations. It’s simply fun to drive. I never pictured myself grinning ear-to-ear while revving up a crossover, but that’s what I found myself doing every time I started the engine. That growl will make you think you’re in a R8 for a millisecond. Just a millisecond.

2015 SQ5 Rear Details

The SQ5 is also a handsome-looking car. Audi is a brand that has become known for its understated luxury, and I would say that the SQ5 is the epitome of understated luxury. It doesn’t command the road like the Q7, but the SQ5 is still not that hard to miss with its striking xenon LED headlights. It also comes with 20” 5-parallel-spoke S-design wheels, allowing you to feel more grounded as you drive. Everything about this car just screams elegance...with a tad of aggresiveness.

The interior of the SQ5 isn’t that much different than the standard Q5 except for the Alcantara/leather seats and carbon atlas inlays ($500 option), which lends itself to a more sporty feel. And if you wanted a more sport experience, you could try driving with the shift paddles.

Audi SQ5 Interior

I’ve come to realize that I have taken many of the interior features of the car for granted like the heated front seats, the 12-way power adjustable seats that include lumbar adjustment, and the three-zone climate control, but I what I will not ever take for granted is the panoramic sunroof. There’s nothing like taking this car up to the mountains on a clear, starry night with the sunroof open….or taking it up to one of the high points in San Diego on a sunny day with the ocean breeze coming through the roof. If you don’t like convertibles, but you really, really like wind therapy, this car is the closest thing you’ll find to enjoying that gorgeous weather.

Audi SQ5 in San Diego

As someone who truly appreciates an excellent sound system, it doesn’t get any better than the Bang & Olufsen - especially for those long road trips. Something needs to drown out my off-tune singing.

And speaking of music, if you choose the Technology Package ($4,000 option), you’ll get the CD/DVD player and Audi connect with online services (6-month subscription included) so you can connect your phone to the wifi and listen to Pandora or any other music app. Also included in the Tech Package is the Audi MMI Navigation with voice control, the parking system with rearview camera, and Audi side assist so you can be alerted when cars are in your blind spot.

What about fuel economy?

That’s usually the deciding factor for many people these days, especially in my home state of California where gas has been between $3.50 and $4.00 in the past year. By my standards, the SQ5 gets decent gas mileage - 17 city mpg, 24 highway mpg with a combined 19 mpg and a fuel tank capacity of 19.8 gallons. It’s actually in line with some of its competitors including the Range Rover Sport and the Porsche Macan that both get around 17 city and 23 highway mpg. During my week with the SQ5, I averaged about 19.8 mpg. I guess it isn’t that bad considering it’s a sport version of a small SUV.

Pricing

The base price for the 2015 SQ5 is $52,700, but after all the bells and whistles including:

Tech Package - $4,000
Bang & Olufsen sound system - $850
Mythos black metallic paint - $500
Carbon Atlas inlays - $500
Destination Charge - $925

You're looking at a total price of $59,525. If that's the price I have to pay to grin from ear to ear whenever I turn on the car, then so be it.

View more pictures of the Audi SQ5 at our Flickr page...
More gadget review in www.mamaktalk.com

Share This: